The Club's History
The start of the Slagelse Model Railroad Club took place in the spring of 1946 when PE Harby, then a civil engineer in Slagelse and coach BO Sørensen, was a young train driver in Slagelse, found together in an attempt to start a local model railway club. BO Like many other railwayers, Sørensen had a lot more interest in trains than just business and PE Harby was a railway enthusiast and keen model railroad man. He had previously been a member of the Danish Model Railway Club in Copenhagen, which had its headquarters at Nørrebro Station.
Following the announcement of advertisements in the local newspapers and a published and arranged visit to the Copenhagen club, a group of people gathered in the old railway station at Slagelse station on March 3, 1946, to discuss the possibilities for setting up a model railway club in the city.
The interest was found to be present and 14 days later, namely the 17th of March 1946, the founding general assembly of the same place and the Slagelse Model Railway Club were now a reality.
Even before the foundation had been looked after for a suitable room, one had also found one that was very suitable for its size and location. There were more or less two unused attic spaces at Slagelse railway station, which the newly established club succeeded in hiring at very favorable terms, at the goodwill of DSB. The total area was about 100 square meters and the premises consisted of a real room of 5.6 x 5.4 m and partly a somewhat irregular ceiling directly below the slope roof.
During the discussion prior to the actual planning of the plant, it was quickly agreed to use gauge 0 (zero, 32 mm), scale size 1:45, thus giving the track plan almost self.
Considering that the square space could be heated while the shutter roof was almost the same temperature as outdoors, it was desirable that as much of the operation as possible could take place from this room and a large station should therefore be placed here .
However, since the curve radius for a plant of the desired standard was set to 2 m, diameter 4 m, you could not put a through-station in a room of just over 5 meters other than in a 180 degree curve. Towards a ringway with this station as the main station, two major arguments were discussed. Firstly, an annular system will close access to most of the room and entry conditions will generally be poor and secondly, a main station with platforms and platform tracks would not be satisfactory in such a sharp curve.
The idea of a ringway was therefore abandoned in favor of a "long" single track stretch with both end stations inside the "heat" and two smaller country stations out on the line under the slate roof. It was thus possible to put the main station in L-shape along the two walls of the room and to be able to place the other end station freely in the remaining part of the room. The line was thus thought to be a model of a sideway such as the Slagelse-Næstved track.
Following this theme and on the basis of plans developed by PE Harby, the construction of the plant began, from the large station called SLAGLILLE to two smaller country stations called HYLLESTED and JYSTRUP with the latter as provisional terminal for later to be continued to a terminal called NYSKOV.
Here briefly, some things should be mentioned at the construction of the plant for almost 60 years:
Already in 1949, the original plans had changed, so that they now drove from SLAGLILLE over a few bridges to JYSTRUP , from there to HYLLESTED and on a double-track route to NYSKOV in the "warm" room. This station should now turn out to be significantly larger than originally planned.
In the years 1955-56 the work was hampered at the installation of the roof roof at Slagelse station. After the end of the work, including the removal of a shovel and an old chimney used as a drainage duct, the club had a major repair work and some reconstruction, especially JYSTRUP station went beyond. There was now also room for a larger gravel digging plant with sorting and tipping lanes with the possibility of ramp reading systems for railway cars and this was built in the following years.
1957-58. As HYLLESTED station and its ferry port had gradually grown to a large extent, it changed its name to HYLLEBORG in 1959 just like removing the feel of the country station as it was originally intended to be.
In 1963 we got our ferry, " Princess Benedikte ". Originally, the ferry was intended to be a model of "Queen Ingrid" (the first ferry with this name) and its work had already started in 1958, but when in 1959 the more streamlined ferry on the Great Belt Transit was introduced, we chose it as a model.
In 1965 we were allowed to use the western tower room. This was cleared, painted and, in general, done nicely so that it could now serve as a club and meeting room. NYSKOV station was expanded in 1966 under SLAGLILLE , which made the station approx. 1½m longer and thus could accommodate longer tribes in the perron tracks. Also our private railway from JYSTRUP to ODDERSHEDE was built or, rather, started in this year. There was a lot of discussion about the possibility of its construction, but by following the gravel dug track over a piece of 3-stranded track and passing it under a part of the gravel grave, it succeeded in establishing it.
We had a faithful crowd of active members and driving on the site went fine. It was really a pleasure! The club now had so many diesel locomotives that we could, as in the example DSB, let the steam locomotives out of the fixed roadmap. This resulted in faster driving performance, as we saved it a lot of time because the train machines at the end stations would not remind us of turning the turntable. The plant was fully expanded, there was no room for more in the premises, so driving on it actually became a bigger part of the club's life than the construction work. But the unemployed became members of the club, however, not because the maintenance of both installations and the large number of vehicles gave a lot of employment. As the construction work had been restricted,
In 1974, the club sought DSB for permission to rent a few smaller, now unused rooms that encountered the least of our facilities. And we got DSB's permission to dispose not only of the 2 rooms, but we also obtained permission to use a large irregular space against the eastern end of the station's ceiling. This room was the same size as our corresponding room at the opposite end of the floor. In addition, we obtained permission to use a former accommodation room which was equipped with central heating. This room became the first of the new premises refurbished and adapted to a new club room and the old club room in the tower room was then used as a storage room for materials for use in construction.
By demolishing two wooden partitions between the 2 small rooms we got a very large center room and it was decided to build a new SLAGLILLE station along the south wall of the building. This station was to be constructed so that the building and platform could look like Slagelse station. Also, NYSKOV station was to be extended with a longer track to the east and it should be designed so that it could become a transitstation for a double-track stretch from HYLLEBORG and to a new end station in the eastern end of the town. This room should also contain a terminal for a single track, which should be based on SLAGLILLE. Furthermore, it was planned that a single-track S-train line should be taken from NYSKOV , and within the east gable there should be the possibility of construction of a runway with a model in the previously large network of roebans in West Zealand in connection with Gørlev Sugar Factory. All very big plans.
In the years to come, work was concentrated on the expansion and expansion of the two terminals SLAGLILLE and NYSKOV , especially for SLAGLILLE , the work was quite extensive, in fact, it was a building of a whole new station. It was easier with regard to NYSKOV , where it was merely an extension of the tracks of confluence. Other things mentioned are that SLAGLILLE built a very nice fuse system, model of DSB / BaneDanmark relay protection system type 1953, while NYSKOV 's old plant was expanded to the extension of the station. S-train line from NYSKOVto a terminal EMBORG was also established.
Then the refurbishment of the east gable, the installation of masonite tiles on the ceiling and sloping walls was followed, and construction work was then started from SLAGLILLE to GRENØR , which the terminal had been baptized. The line got a small intermediate station with a trace link to a sugar factory, from which the cableway goes out.