model train set building secrets for railroaders
HomeClub Pictures Club VideosClub LocationClub Website

The Model Railroad Club of Toronto was founded in 1938 by Harry Ebert an Borden Lilley.

Originally located in Harry Ebert’s basement, the model railroad club of Toronto (MRTC) soon moved to new premises at Toronto union station. Following world war 2 the railways required the union station space the club occupied so a hunt for a new home was on. In January 1946 the club moved to its long time location in the basement of East Liberty Street a former munitions factory. In April 2013 the club relocated to 11 Curity avenue, Toronto. Over the past 78 years a great many have belonged to the club and enjoyed themselves through fellowship with others that share passion for the hobby. For many memberships at the model railroad club of Toronto has a lifelong commitment

The Model Railroad Club of Toronto was fortunate in having its home in the same premises from January 1946 to April 2013, occupying two former Bren gun test ranges in a building purpose-built for gun production during World War II. At the conclusion of the war, the Canadian Government leased the building to commercial tenants and in 1950 sold the property to a company formed by a majority of those tenants. The Model Railroad Club of Toronto was the first tenant to occupy the building in 1946, became a shareholder/tenant in 1950, and was the last surviving tenant of that era to leave, a span of over 67 years.

The Central Ontario Railway had been running for thirty-two years before succumbing to Mackenzie and Mann, builders of the Canadian Northern Railway, to feed their main line between Toronto and Ottawa. The first train ran from Picton to Trenton in 1880 under its original name, the Prince Edward County Railway. Two years later, as the Central Ontario Railway, multiple expansions began in order to reach the areas of relatively unexploited iron ore discoveries recently found to the north. The intention was to connect with the Canada Atlantic Railway (later absorbed by the Grand Trunk Railway) near Whitney, but they didn't quite make it. Construction was halted some eight miles away and never resumed. Despite the railway's reliance on the mining industry, haulage of farmers' produce and sawn lumber proved to be steady, as did passenger traffic.

Today’s Central Ontario as it is presented in model form, is a loose representation of the original. While our town’s are named after Club members, we endeavor to name passenger cars after towns along the original route as well as trying to capture some of the flavor of that era through the types of industries we have built on our layout..

Other Model Train Related Projects

About Us      Contact Us      Our Sponsors     Privacy      Copyright